David Gastil
9/28/2011
rights.
Bituminous
“Shave
him,” they say. They do. I am. Rough razors on my chest. My back.
My scalp. Hoarse, angry, terrified, I shout.
“The
king will...” Fist in my gut. Slap in my face. Hiss in my ear.
“The
king! You hear that lads? The king, he says. The king is in merry old
England eating chocolates and fucking whores. But us, we're right
here.”
I wait
for help. I wait for justice. None comes. None but theirs. It's no
longer safe in the village square.
“Bring
the pitch.” The cauldron is brought – wrought black iron flecked
with tar. The contents seethe.
Like a
fox at bay, I snarl, bare my teeth, struggle in vain. A fist hits my
temple. My vision boils. My arms are wrenched wide. I'm brought to my
knees. I start to cry. The cauldron's raised high. I close my eyes
and scream. Then the pain.
Hot tar
flows down my neck. My back. My chest. It burns all it touches and
sticks. It floods my britches. Pools in my boots. The traitors are
gone. The square is gone. The village. The colony. The King, Earth,
and God. Only the pain remains. Savage and pure. Bright and brutal.
I hear
them bring the feathers. I hear them jeer. It is the joy of the
vicious. The mirth of the cruel. The Devil is laughing, like a king
at his fool.
I am
surely a sight. Beaten. Burned. Plumed in white.
The
brutes parade me like a wretched freak. The villagers stare or glare
or throw stones. No love for the taxman. The king's man to the bones.
I was
their neighbor, their fellow, their friend.
They
dump me in the woods – kick me a few times for good measure. Then,
bored, they seek out fresh pleasure. The tar cools on my skin. The
scars remain. As does the pain.
Eventually
my brother comes. He and his wife hoist me up. Bring me home. They
scrub me raw with soap and brush. I scream. Once. Twice. Many times.
My body is racked with long sobs. Finally I see a mirror. My skin is
a map of Hell. Gray-black tar still stains much of my body, but can
no longer mask the hideous burns. A blue-green-purple patchwork of
bruises covers my face and torso. Elsewhere I am red and puffy like a
ripe tomato. My feet got the worst of it. My boots trapped the tar.
The next
day, Tuesday, my brother brings a doctor from Boston. He treats my
burns. Sets a cracked rib. Amputates two toes. They give me whiskey
for the pain. I drink half the bottle in two long swigs. Why
shouldn't my insides get a chance to burn? My brother drinks with me.
We talk about growing up. Life on the farm. Our parents. How we miss
them. Nothing about politics. Or what happened to me. Nothing that
would show our shame.
Wednesday
I am sober. I remember my duty. My brother tells me my home has been
looted. I'm not surprised. Just one more injustice. One more
grievance to air. My brother loans me clothes. I want to go out, but
am too weak.
Thursday
it rains. I sit outside in the downpour. I try to wash the stains
from my skin. My brother's wife finds me there, swaying gently as I
shiver and gasp. She brings me in. Puts me to bed. She holds me there
for a long time. Like a mother cradling a sick child. For the first
time I call her sister.
Friday I
have a fever. I stay in bed all day. My family brings me thin onion
soup and hot cider.
Saturday
a rock crashes through the window. They tell me it is not the first.
I thought they'd leave my brother alone.
Sunday
my fever breaks and I am well enough to accompany my family to
church. The young preacher speaks of Christ's power to heal and
forgive. Of the folly of revenge. What Christ said when the crowd
raised their stones. Cold eyes watch me from the pews. I'm grateful
to leave the meetinghouse.
Monday I
hire a carriage with my brother's money and ride to Boston. The
governor's mansion is picketed by crowds. They block my entrance,
shouting taunts and hoisting doomed effigies. Before I can retreat to
my carriage, someone recognizes me. Strong hands grab the taxman.
“So
what will you be?” they ask. “The king's lackey or a true son of
liberty?”
I
remember what I said last time. What it cost me. What it must have
cost my family. “The King of England can no longer rule this land.”
They believe me, of course. It's the truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment